COVID-19 FFCRA Emergency Sick Pay Considerations Related to CBA Negotiations
- is subject to State, Federal, or local quarantine,
- has been advised by a medical professional to self-quarantine,
- is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking medical diagnosis,
- is caring for an individual under quarantine,
- is caring for a child whose school or place of care has closed due to COVID-19 related reasons, or
- is experiencing any other substantially similar condition specified by the U.S. Government.
- An officer who contracts COVID-19 will likely be considered to have done so in the line of duty and may make a Workers’ Comp claim related to the illness.
- Officers who are required to miss work related to COVID-19, but who are not diagnosed with the illness, do not likely have a valid Workers’ Comp Claim.
- Lodges should consider bargaining for added protections in their upcoming CBA negotiations to protect officers who must miss work due to COVID-19 related reasons.
- Officers who must miss work due to COVID-19 related reasons, but who are not diagnosed with COVID-19 (i.e. those who must care for children out of school, those who must care for family members under quarantine, etc.), are at the greatest risk of suffering undue burdens, because they cannot likely make Workers’ Comp Claims—they have no diagnosed illness.
- Lodges should negotiate to prevent municipalities from opting out of the FFRCA’s emergency sick leave policy for law enforcement officers.
- At a minimum, Lodge’s should negotiate to protect those who cannot make Workers’ Comp claims.
We have extensive trial experience and a trial preparation process structured to benefit from the perspectives of our junior members while growing their knowledge base.
We stay on top of the latest technology to craft exhibits and demonstrations that help us successfully make the case to juries.
We have a regional footprint in Oklahoma City and Tulsa along with a national presence, thanks to a reputation built on successful outcomes overseeing large multistate cases.
We create efficiencies through integrated services and a one-stop shop approach. We provide comprehensive legal services under one roof.